With all the home improvement projects to tackle, replacing your windows is likely, not high on your priority list. However, when was the last time you checked the condition of your home’s windows? If asked, most homeowners wouldn’t be able to confidently speak to the current state of their windows, mainly due to having other updates in mind. Others may not even be aware that they need to be replaced! To avoid spending money unnecessarily, below are 5 signs you need to replace your windows.
- Drafty – If you’re a native to the Hudson Valley, then you’re well aware of the hot summers & brisk winters we are so fortunate to experience annually. That being said, drafty windows coupled with fluctuating temperatures can be problematic for your home and your energy bills! An easy way to test for drafts (outside of feeling the cool temperatures sneak in during the winter) is to light a candlestick and trace the flame around the window frame; the candle’s flicker & smoke pattern can help indicate if a draft is present. A drafty window can cause your HVAC system to work twice as hard due to the varying temperatures, so you’ll want to address this issue sooner rather than later!
- Damaged – While this may seem evident, if a window on your home is damaged, warped, or broken, then it’s time for it to be replaced–simple as that! While some issues to the window may seem minor, such as switching out old hardware or replacing weather stripping, these minor problems can potentially develop further over time. Not only do broken/damaged windows pose a security threat to your home, but they can be costing you unnecessary money, too (see point 3)!
- High Energy Costs – If you’re looking to reduce your energy bill and save some money, look to your windows! First, establish if the window is allowing for drafts (see point 1). If your window is, that draft can allot for 10% of your energy bill—sometimes even more! Replacing your windows with energy-efficient ones can not only reduce your heating & cooling bills but also add significant value for resale!
- Condensation – Ever notice condensation on your windows? Some condensation buildup can be normal, but accumulation between glass layers indicates that the window’s seals have failed, causing moisture between panes. This indicator also reveals that your window is no longer energy efficient (again, costing you money)! You’ll want to replace these windows before they become too leaky and problematic.
- Operation – Can you open & close the window? This may seem like a trivial question, but there are many homeowners that have windows that are either difficult to open/close, or are inoperable altogether. Windows that stick or are difficult to lock, too, should also be considered for replacement. Remember, your windows should open and close seamlessly!
According to the 2019 Cost vs. Value report, in New York state, about 80% of your investment cost is recouped. In other words, replacing your windows is not only a smart investment, but it’s also money well spent!
Think it’s time to replace your windows? Visit our friends and partners over at Williams Lumber & Home Centers–they can help you with all your window needs!